Due to the Voter Verification Act all voters in North Carolina will be required to show a photo identification (photo ID) when they present to vote in 2016.
Acceptable Photo ID Starting 2016 Unexpired North Carolina drivers’ license, including a learners’ permit or provisional license
- Unexpired North Carolina non-operators identification card (DMV ID Card)
- Unexpired United States passport
- United States military identification card
- Veterans Identification Card
- Tribal enrollment card issued by a federally recognized tribe
- Tribal enrollment card issued by tribe recognized by North Carolina
- Out-of-state drivers’ license or non-operators identification card (valid only if the person’s voter registration date in the county is within 90 days of the date of the election)
No photo ID requirements for persons who vote by mail absentee ballot
The request form will require voters to provide at least one of the following identification information: (1) their drivers’ license number, (2) the last four digits of their Social Security number; or (3) a copy of a HAVA ID
Expiration Dates & Exemptions
- The ID must not be expired, except for a voter over age 70 whose ID was current on their 70th birthday.
- The military and veterans IDs do not need an expiration date, but other IDs do.
- Voters can cast a provisional ballot, but it will only count if they bring an acceptable ID to the county board of elections by noon of the day before the election canvass.
- Voters are exempt (1) who swear they have a religious objection to being photographed or (2) who use curbside voting because of their age or physical disability. Instead of a photo, these voters may show a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, or government document with name and current address.
How to Get a “No-Fee”
To receive a “No-Fee” Photo ID one needs to go to your local DMV, and be registered to vote. If you are not registered you can register to vote at the DMV as well. You must show documents with your full name that prove your identity, age and residence. You must also provide a valid Social Security Number. Bring two documents from this list to prove your identity; at least one must show your date of birth:
- A driver’s license or ID card from another state, less than 1 year expired (even without a photo).
- Original Social Security card (Meaning no photocopies of the Social Security will be allowed).
- W-2 or 1099 tax document.
- Certified birth certificate or marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court approval of a name or gender change or adoption from a government agency in US, US territory, Canada or Puerto Rico.
- NC school transcript or registration signed by a school official; diploma/GED from a NC school.
- Unexpired military ID, DD-2, DD-214, Military Dependents Card, or Veteran Universal Access card
- Limited driving privilege issued by a NC court that is less than one year expired.
- Valid document from Dept. of Homeland Security or US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Motor vehicle record from NC or another state.
- US court document for child support, arrest, etc. Bring one of these that shows your street address:
- Any document issued by the government (local, state or federal agency) including a license, bill, registration card, tax notice, letter or order.
- Utility bill, including cable or cell phone.
- Housing lease, mortgage statement.
- Preprinted financial statement, like W-2 or 1099
- Official school record (not a report card).
- NC vehicle insurance policy.
- Letter from homeless shelter.
If you need to show a document with your Social Security number because DMV could not verify it, you will need to provide one of these:
- Social Security Admin. document or SS card.
- 1099 or W-2 tax form or payroll record.
- Medicaid/Medicare card.
- Military or Veterans record or DD-214.